Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Joys of Potty Training

Why do we use toilets?

I started potty training this summer, and have asked myself that question more times than I can count.  Why can't we all just wear diapers and save ourselves the time and effort?  I am at my wits end with trying to teach my 3 year old to use the potty.

I started over the summer, and it was going really well.  I used the rewards chart (that I made myself), I patiently put him on the potty every 30 mintues and cleaned up pee and poop from the floor all day long.  I encouraged and spun everything positively. . . and then it happened.  He started to go to the potty on his own, we went days at a time without accidents. . . for the most part, he was potty trained.  The only time we had accidents was if he couldn't make it to the potty in time, or if he couldn't find a bathroom.  Even on our across-province trip, we made it without any accidents.

Now, 3 months later, I'm finding him hiding in corners to pee and poop.  I am again cleaning pee and poop up off the floor, the toilet seat, etc.  I am completely out of ideas as to how to handle this.  I've tried the advice I've read from all of the 'experts', telling me to clean it up matter-of-factly and not punish him, but to encourage him and remind him to use the potty.  However, this is not working.  It's embarrassing, because we hired a sitter and told her that he was mostly potty trained, but he's had an accident nearly every day since he's been there!  I'm out of patience. 

I think the most frustrating this is that my child is very intelligent.  I know that a lot of mothers' say that about their children, and think their children are so smart and handsome and perfect.  I, however, do not have perfect child syndrome.  I can admit the faults of my children, however I am proud of their strengths.  My child is very smart, always has been.  I KNOW that he knows the difference.  He will even sometimes do it just for spite, if we put him in time-out for example.  I feel like it's just about him showing us that he can and will pee and poop wherever he wants to.  How do I even BEGIN to deal with this. 

Maybe we'll just become a family that uses diapers. . .

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, I hope it goes quickly and smoothly for you! I HATE potty training, my boys think it's such a nuisence to waste their play time to run to the toilet and do their business. They have no problem peeing on characters, one of them said "Deigo wanted to go swimming." Eventually they all get there though, right?
    Potty Training Tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I sure hope they all do, if you read my newest post, you'll see that I'm having quite the time of it with my second child :) Hopefully you've conquered the potty training battle as well!

    ReplyDelete