Sunday, July 12, 2009

exhaustion

I was going to title this blog "pooped", but I realized that people might get the wrong idea and think that I was writing, yet again, about the importance of poop in my life. I will start, however, by saying that the poop situation in this house has been wonderful (and very stinky) as of late, which makes me very happy.

I just need to send out a little "kudos" to the people who parent alone. . . single moms and dads. . . I'm not quite sure how you survive it! Last week my husband was away for a week on business. I was left to take care of a 17 month old and a 2 month old. . . hence the title of this blog. Luckily for me, my mother is off for the summer and came is as reinforcement. However, I don't like to leave the parenting to my mother, she should get to enjoy grandparenting, so the responsiblity fell on me. I just had an extra set of hands when I had two children demanding attention of some kind at the same time. Thank God for mothers. . .

Anyhow, we split the time up between my house and my mom's house. Either way, though, I ended up with my oldest baby in the bed with me. I'm not sure how many of you have attempted to sleep with a 17 month old, or even if all 17 month olds are like mine, but I am aching and tired. He tosses and turns all night long, one minute he's at the head of the bed, the next minute at the foot. I've been kicked in the face, gotten hands in my face. . . he's tried to lay on my stomach, side, chest, face, bum, legs, etc etc. . . on top of that, I had my 2 month old in a playpen next to me. Which meant that every little sound and movement that he made had me awake, aside from the one or two times a night that he wakes anyhow (when he's sleeping in his playpen especially).

So, all of that to say. . . I'm exhausted. When you have children, you really learn what true exhaustion is all about. There is no end to the lack of sleep, and there is never any time to catch up! I felt the exhaustion when I just had one child, but now that I have two it seems like I can never get a reprieve!

I love my children, I wouldn't give them up for anything. It doesn't matter how exhausted you are, the exhaustion just doesn't matter. I enjoy my boys, I am excited about them, and look forward to seeing them every morning when I wake up. It's amazing how, with your children, even this level of exhaustion can't change that.

SIDENOTE:

My sister is FINALLY home! SO exciting! I'm really looking forward to getting to spend lots of time with her over the summer. . .

1 comment:

  1. YAY, something about parenting that I actually have experience with! Not that I have two children, or even ONE outside of the womb yet. But I did spend many many sleepless nights with Lucas, at various stages of his past 7 years. Sigh, I've had feet and arms, hands and elbows wack me against the face.. If Isaac is a tosser-turner now, wait till those little limbs get a little bigger. I 'slept' on edge, mentally and the edge of the bed.. So, for once, my dear exhausted friend, to some extent (i had only one Lucas) I understand!

    ReplyDelete