Sunday, June 28, 2009

aside. . .

This entry is sort of an "aside" to the life of a mom. . . although it doesn't feel like an aside in my life.

Yesterday was the first Ray Palmer Legacy Foundation golf tournament. Some of my dad's friends that he golfed with (some of them he's been friends with for years, way before golf came on his radar) got together and decided that his life was special and important, and that somebody so extraordinary needed to be acknowledged in an extraordinary way. They developed the Ray Palmer Legacy Foundation. The foundation has started two scholarships presented to students at two different schools. The first is presented in EVI, where my dad last taught (on the island). It goes to a student who has overcome adversity and is involved in technology and likes to share technology with others. The second is presented at Dorset Collegiate (since GBS has changed and no longer has grade 7 - 9 students) and goes to a student who has overcome adversity and is involved in physical education and likes to share physical education in a positive way. In order to fund the scholarships, they have developed a golf tournament in which people pay money to play, and company's can sponser holes and donate money.

On friday, the first award was presented to a student at EVI by a member of the committee and myself. I went there thinking that I was strong and could handle it, but as soon as my dad's picture was placed on the screen, the emotions started. I don't know if it was the picture, if it was because I've been feeling it even more lately than before, or if it was the reaction of the school (students and staff) when THEY saw the picture. . . it may have been a combination of both. Anyhow, I did manage to go up there and present the scholarship to the boy who won. At first I wasn't impressed because the student was a grade 7 student who would have never met my dad. But then, he came up and he was SO sweet and seemed so THANKFUL. . . he seemed to understand the significance and importance of being chosen for the scholarship. I felt somehow ok with it, and was happy to see him get the award. The second scholarship will be presented in Dorset in the fall. . .

The tournament was yesterday, which was crazy hard for me. I didn't go golfing, but went to the "social" afterwards. I ended up having to play with Isaac and avoid pictures/stories/etc. I'm so happy that people could do that, that people are affected by my dad's death. . . I guess I'm happy that people are sad and emotional, it seems like the whole world should be crying. It's not everyday that somebody as fantastic as my dad leaves the world. He was literally an extraordinary person and should be acknowledged for that!

Anyhow, that's all of the aside I get because I now have a child crying for me. . . sometimes I'm very thankful that my children keep me so busy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you for writing this because I've been constantly wondering how it all went. I'm proud of you for making an effort to go and do that even though I know it was super hard for you. I miss Daddy so much.

    I love you, and I'll see you very soon! We're leaving tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine really, and am thankful that so many people stepped up to recognize your dad is such an appropriate way. Knowing him, it just makes sense that his 'legacy' would live on in this. Wishing I could have been there with you/for you.

    ReplyDelete